2018 Research Experiences for Undergraduates at Emory University
Dates: June 4 - July 13, 2018.
Math Building, Rooms E406 and E408
- John Duncan, Assistant Professor.
- Ken Ono, Asa Griggs Candler Professor.
- Larry Rolen, Visiting Assistant Professor (Georgia Tech).
Basic InformationKen Ono has been organizing REU programs since 2003 (formerly at U. Wisconsin (Madison) from 2003-2009). He has advised over 100 students including 6 Morgan Prize Winners and 5 Schafer Prize winners. The REU alums have won numerous other honors including Marshall Scholarships, NSF Graduate Fellowships (over 30), etc...
We are organizing a summer Research Experience in Mathematics for the summer of 2018 on the beautiful campus of Emory University (adjacent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)). We seek to fill 10-14 openings in the REU. Most of the participants will be US citizens or permanent residents who are presently enrolled in a US undergraduate institution or high school. We have offered openings to high school students who are adequately prepared for the program. NSF supported participants will receive a $5000 stipend and also free accomodations.
2018 Project areas
- Analytic Study of High Performance Swimming
- Elliptic curves and Galois representations
- Mock modular and quantum modular forms
- Additive Number Theory
- Distribution of Primes
- Ryan Chen (2018 Goldwater Scholar, 2019 Churchill Fellow )
- Katherine Gallagher (2018 Goldwater Scholar, 2019 Marshall Fellow)
- Nate Gillman (2019 Goldwater Scholar)
- Xavier Gonzalez (special participant, 2018 Rhodes Scholar))
- Lucia Li
- Samuel Marks
- Sven Mehisovic
- Fiona Muir
- Matthew Schoenbauer (2018 Goldwater Scholar)
- Naomi Sweeting (2018 Goldwater Scholar, 2019 Schafer Prize Winner)
- Matthew Tyler
- Katja Vassilev
- Katy Woo (2019 Goldwater Scholar, 2020 Schafer Prize Runner up)
- Ryan Chen, Samuel Marks, and Matthew Tyler, p-adic properties of Hauptmoduln with applications to moonshine, SIGMA, 15 (2019), Art. 33.
- Madeline Locus Dawsey, Jon Howell, Sven Mehisovic, Fiona Muir, Ken Ono, Sage Ono, and Larry Rolen, Case study of elite breaststrokers using inertial measurement units, submitted for publication.
- Nate Gillman, Xavier Gonzalez, Ken Ono, Larry Rolen, and Matthew Schoenbauer, From partitions to Hodge numbers of Hilbert schemes of surfaces, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, Series A, 2020;378 (2163)
- Katie Gallagher, Lucia Li, Naomi Sweeting, Katja Vassilev, Katharine Woo, Generating functions for power moments of elliptic curves over Fp, Journal of Number Theory, 201 (2019), 53-67.
- Katie Gallagher, Lucia Li, and Katja Vassilev, Lacunarity of Han-Nekrasov-Okounkov q-series, Annals of Combinatorics, accepted for publication.
- Nate Gillman, Xavier Gonzalez, and Matthew Schoenbauer, Exact formulas for invariants of Hilbert schemes, Research in Number Theory 4 (2018), Art. 39.
- Naomi Sweeting and Katy Woo, Formulas for Chebotarev densities of Galois extensions of number fields, Research in Number Theory (2019), 5, No. 4.
- Naomi Sweeting and Katy Woo, On the zeros of a class of modular functions, Annals of Combinatorics, 23 (2019), 417-422.