Research Experiences for Undergraduates at Emory University
2014 Research Experiences for Undergraduates at Emory University
Dates: June 9 - July 18, 2014
Math Building, Rooms E406 and E408
- David Zureick-Brown, Assistant Professor.
- Ken Ono, Asa Griggs Candler Professor.
- Michael Griffin, NSF Graduate Fellow, (Emory)
- Jesse Thorner, (Emory) Graduate Student.
- Sarah Trebat-Leder, NSF Graduate Fellow, (Emory)
Basic InformationThe PI has been organizing REU programs since 2003 (formerly at U. Wisconsin (Madison) from 2003-2009). He has advised over 100 students including 4 Morgan Prize Winners and 4 Schafer Prize winners. The REU alums have won numerous other honors including Marshall Scholarships, NSF Graduate Fellowships (over 30), etc...
Thanks to the generous support of the National Science Foundation and Emory University, we are again organizing a summer Research Experience in Mathematics for the summer of 2014 on the beautiful campus of Emory University (adjacent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)). We seek to fill 8-10 openings in the REU. Most of the participants will be US citizens or permanent residents who are presently enrolled in a US undergraduate institution or high school. We have offered openings to high school students who are adequately prepared for the program. NSF supported participants will receive a $3600 stipend and free accomodations.
2014 Project areas
- Elliptic curves and Galois representations
- Mock modular and quantum modular forms
- Additive Number Theory
- Distribution of Primes
- Lea Beneish (Indiana University)
- Lynn Chua (MIT)
- Claire Frechette (Brown University)
- Benjamin Gunby (MIT)
- Hannah Larson (Harvard University): 2017 Schafer Prize Winner
- Maddie Locus (University of Georgia)
- Evan O'Dorney (Harvard University): 2016 Morgan Prize Runner-Up
- Soohyun Park (MIT)
- Alexander Smith (Princeton University)
- Geoffrey Smith (Yale University)
- David Yang (MIT): 2017 Morgan Prize Winner
- Lynnelle Ye (Stanford, special participant)
- Allen Yuan (Harvard University)
- L. Beneish and H. Larson, Traces of singular values of hauptmoduln, International Journal of Number Theory, 11 (2015), pages 1027-1048.
- L. Chua, B. Gunby, S. Park, and A. Yuan, Proof of a conjecture of Guy on class numbers, International Journal of Number Theory, 11 (2015), pages 1345-1355.
- B. Gunby, A. Smith, and A. Yuan, Irreducible canonical representations in positive characteristic, Research in Number Theory, 1 (2015), 1.
- C. Frechette and M. Locus, Combinatorial properties of Rogers-Ramanujan type identities arising from Hall-Littlewood polynomials, Annals of Combinatorics 20 (2016), 345-360.
- M. Jameson, J. Thorner, and L. Ye, Benford's Law for coefficients of newforms, International Journal of Number Theory 12 (2016), 483-494.
- L. Chua, S. Park, and G. Smith, Bounded gaps between primes in special sequences, Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 143 (2015), 4597-4611.
- E. O'Dorney, Canonical rings of Q-divisors on P^1, Annals of Combinatorics 19 (2015), 765-784.
- G. Smith and L. Ye, The partition function modulo 3 in arithmetic progressions, Ramanujan Journal 39 (2016), 603-608.
- D. Yang, S_n equivariant sheaves and Kozsul cohomology, Research in the Mathematical Sciences, 1 (2014), 13.