2016 Research Experiences for Undergraduates at Emory University
Dates: June 6 - July 15, 2016
Math Building, Rooms E406 and E408
- Olivia Beckwith, NSF Graduate Fellow
- David Zureick-Brown, Assistant Professor.
- Ken Ono, Asa Griggs Candler Professor.
- Michael Mertens Postdoctoral Fellow, (Emory)
- Jesse Thorner, (Emory) Graduate Student.
Basic InformationKen Ono has been organizing REU programs since 2003 (formerly at U. Wisconsin (Madison) from 2003-2009). He has advised over 100 students including 4 Morgan Prize Winners and 4 Schafer Prize winners. The REU alums have won numerous other honors including Marshall Scholarships, NSF Graduate Fellowships (over 30), etc...
We are organizing a summer Research Experience in Mathematics for the summer of 2016 on the beautiful campus of Emory University (adjacent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)). We seek to fill 10-14 openings in the REU. Most of the participants will be US citizens or permanent residents who are presently enrolled in a US undergraduate institution or high school. We have offered openings to high school students who are adequately prepared for the program. NSF supported participants will receive a $5000 stipend and also free accomodations.
2016 Project areas
- Elliptic curves and Galois representations
- Mock modular and quantum modular forms
- Additive Number Theory
- Distribution of Primes
- Asra Ali
- Tessa Cotron
- Robert Dicks
- Sarah Fleming (2017 Schafer Prize, Runner-Up)
- Elaine Hou
- Meena Jagadeesan (2018 Goldwater Scholar)
- Aaron Landesman (2017 Morgan Prize, Runner-Up)
- Yang Liu
- Nitya Mani (2018 Goldwater Scholar, 2019 Schafer Prize, Honorable Mention)
- Peter Park
- Zhuo Qun (Alex) Song
- Ashvin Swaminathan (2018 Morgan Prize Winner)
- James Tao
- Yujie Xu
- Asra Ali and Nitya Mani, Infinite Product Exponents for Modular forms, Research in Number Theory, 2 (2016), 21.
- Asra Ali and Nitya Mani, Shifted convolution L-series values for elliptic curves, Archiv der Mathematik, 110 (3) (2018), 225-244.
- Tessa Cotron, Robert Dicks, and Sarah Fleming, Asymptotics and congruences for partition functions which arise from finitary permutation groups, Research in Number Theory, 2(2016), 20.
- Tessa Cotron, Robert Dicks, and Sarah Fleming, Congruences between word lengths statistics for finitary alternating and symmetric groups, Arch. Math. (Basel), 109 (2017), 201-214.
- Elaine Hou and Meena Jagadeesan, Dyson's Partition Ranks and their Multiplicative Extensions, Ramanujan Journal, Ramanujan J. 45 (2018), 817-839.
- Aaron Landesman, Ashvin Swaminathan, James Tao, and Yujie Xu, Lifting Subgroups of Symplectic Groups over ℤ/ℓℤ, Research in Number Theory, 3 (2017), 14.
- Aaron Landesman, Ashvin Swaminathan, James Tao, and Yujie Xu, Surjectivity of Galois representations in rational families of Abelian varieties, Algebra and Number Theory, 13 (2019), 995-1038.
- Aaron Landesman, Ashvin Swaminathan, James Tao, and Yujie Xu, Hyperelliptic curves with maximal Galois action on the torsion points of their Jacobians, Indiana University Math. J., accepted for publication.
- Yang Liu, Peter S. Park, and Zhuo Qun Song, Bounded Gaps Between Products of Distinct Primes, Research in Number Theory, 3, (2017) 26.
- Yang Liu, Peter S. Park, and Zhuo Qun Song, The "Riemann Hypothesis" is True for Period Polynomials of Almost All Newforms, Research in the Mathematical Sciences, 3 (2016), 31.